Monday 28 December 2009

Question 3

What Kind of Media Institution Might Distribute Your Media Product and Why? (Question 3)

What server will you use, and how will you have the site publicised?

The website is distributed via the WWW and the organistaion producing the website will often pay a hosting company to store the files on their server.

The prices that it costs for you to host of a website can be from nothing for you may be the only provider of the website, or if you have someone else to host it, it may scale from £10 – £100 per month for local hosting, for very big companies you never really know for there is so much legal issues behind it.

Domain names are a human friendly version of a website address. By this I mean that if we did not have a domain name then the website would be a load of numbers that no I.T guru could understand.

When choosing your Domain name you should select a term people will use to search for your site. Most obviously, this could be your brand or personal name.

A domain name makes up the address of your site and can end in .com, .net, .org, Info, .us, .biz, and more.

You can register your domain names with big name companies like Register.com and NetworkSolutions.com, it does not really matter who you register with for they all provide the same service but different prices.The web server that I am going to use to publish my website will be Apache. I have chosen this web server because it seems to be one of the most commonly used servers within the Internet. And of its high reputation, I feel that it was right to use this server. Using www.netcraft.com, I compiled some research and when I searched a certain website, for example www.wikipedia.com, Apache would be the server that came more frequently than others and therefore I believe that it would be a very reliable server.

I will have the website publicised through www.google.com as they are service provider that can make my site visible and searchable. The way I would make my website visible and searchable through ‘Google’ is to go onto the site and type in the search box “how to make Google find my website” and then click onto the first link. Once that page has loaded up, I will then click on the link that reads www.google.com/addurl.html, which will then take me to the page where I will be able to make my website visible to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment